3.11.2009

Punk' N Center Nine!

Hello.

Have you all heard that the economy is bad? Well one of the two counties that Unincorporated Headquarters (here in beautiful Limestone, TN) straddles has 14 % unemployment. Yeah, that's right, birthplace of Davy Crockett and no jobs.
We here at Punk' N Center have elected to do our part. We have compiled a vaguely fiscal/occupational mix for this week. Consider it our musical stimulus package.

Here it is, Punk' N Center UNINC. 9!
This week lines of lyric follow the pithy comments.

1)
All The Money I Had Is Gone:The Deep Dark Woods
Newish band, part of this neo-folk movement, Sam Beam godfather.
"I can weep and I can cry, I can wonder why"

2)
working together:Gonzales
We can't say that this song is live, but it is catchy and poppy.
"Don't forget this, your my apprentice, you need to sweat this"

3)
Money Up:M Shanghai String Band
House band at the M Shanghai Cafe. There are 100s of people in this band, just look at this pic.
"And I speak 20 languages, but I don't like the workin"

4)
Working Life:Me
Do not try to Google this band. It will lead you nowhere. Oh, and David Byrne called, he wants his voice back.
"Oh well it's just another year, round the sun"

5)
F-Olding Money:Tommy Blake
Oldies are the greatest.
"I sent the see the welfare man to try to get a pension"

6)
Working Part Time:The Henry Clay People
This band's whole album seems to be economy themed.
"Just trying to gain some experience for whatever was coming next"

7)
Money Changes Everything:Cyndi Lauper
Originally this song slot was held by Dan Reeder and All My Money, but at the last minute we realized that it was DRM protected by Apple. No Dan Reeder, but let's all take a moment and sing the praises of Cyndi Lauper. For the eighties this song has a pretty kickin' arrangement, shades of today's indie pop.
"there was one thing we weren't really thinking of and that's money"

8)
Funky Dollar Bill:Funkadelic
The guitar riff on this song is awesome, awesome enough to inspire this. Canadians, hah.
"U.S. Dollar BILL!"

9)
Work for Your Money:Howlin’ Wolf
Howlin's face is terrific. We are actually uncertain whether this song has anything to do with money or work.
"I might leave you baby, goin' down to the coast"

10)
I've Got Money:James Brown
It would be easy to but a JB song on every single Punk' N Center... don't tempt us.
"I believe I'll sing the blues one more time..."

11)
Working Poor:Horse Feathers
Iron & Wine, your influence is widespread!
"no money in our case, empty pockets to our graves"

12)
Cash In My Pocket [Chew Fu Small Room Remix]:Wiley feat Daniel Merriweather
Joyful end, and let's face it, this is the solution to the crisis. We want Skrilla. We need Skrilla.
"I want Skrilla in my wallet"


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment